Thursday, April 26, 2007

A sign on the main entrance says, "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well."

It's put up by the Sub-Warden and Resident Tutor, wishing us the best of luck for our summer assignments and exams.

I thought it was very appropriate coz we see that sign every morning on our way out & it's a good advice!

I read somewhere that we must motivate ourselves everyday, because just as we eat everyday, we must feed our soul with nutritious 'food' too. Then I truly understood why the popular book series is called 'Chicken Soup for the Soul'. Before this, I'd only a vague awareness & never stopped to think why is the book titled that way. I certainly believe nurturing the soul is just as important as nurturing the body.

Perhaps once we start to take things lightly, life wouldn't seem so hard. Taking things lightly definitely doesn't mean to act irresposibly. It's merely accepting the fact that there are some things out of our control and all we can do is to 'try our best'.

That is what I believe anyway! There are things that seem so important to us right now, but think about it, in 30 years time, is it still that big a deal? If not, then don't take the loss too hard. Human beings generally suffer from myopia and tend to think about short term consequences only. I am not an exception to the case. Sure, we hear people say, "Live for the moment! Cherish today because life is short!"

But if we were to think about it rationally, unless a sudden disease strikes or an accident happens, from the general information obtained about life expectancy in high-developing countries, we can expect ourselves to live at least until 70 years old. So if we are not careful, one irresposible behaviour today could cause us to suffer at least a few more decades of shame and guilt.

Of course, I could understand the essence of the phrase so there's no flamming of the author here.

I believe different words of motivation apply to different situation. There's no one particular apt phrase that we could use for all the situations we come across. Even though it's generally said we should always put ourselves in other people's shoes and be kind. One solution does not answer all questions. Hey! Why do I feel like I'm explaining Economics now?

In all the textbooks, authors are always reminding us that there's no perfect model to answer economic questions & in order to explain a situation well, we have to make several assumptions and take it from there.

I've never realised how relevant that is to real life! Maybe revising would come easier now that I have a little understanding on the philosophy of life! How interesting!

No wonder life is full of surprises. When I started this post, I didn't think I would end it with a sudden realisation of how closely related economics is to life and its philosophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment