Friday, April 13, 2007

Revision!

It's time to start intensive revision.
After resting for such a long period of time since A levels, I have forgotten my study style.
Now, I resort to going online to the warwick study recipe website & look at their recommended way of doing revision.

Somehow, uni work is different from A levels.
I never used to understand the meaning of 'spoon feeding'.
When teachers in school said we should stop being spoon-fed coz it's not going to be like that in university, I didn't really get what they were saying.
But now, boy..I finally understood.

In A levels, we're given a nice set of notes, complete with all the knowledge equipped for the exam and we practice with past year papers all year round.
So by the time of exam, we are already armed with all the right knowledge for the papers.
But here...
Go through past year questions? Do it at your own time.
Answers to past year questions? Sorry, we don't provide you with that.
Are the things in the notes going to be examined? We don't know. Just choose to study the one which you think is important.
Huh? Oh no.. that is risky!

I am ashamed to say there are still some key concepts which I haven't grasped and it's very dangerous! I am getting scared now.

But thank god for the study guide, I feel more at ease.
Let me quote the Warwick Skills website..

Mastering Revision
Step 1: Don't panic. Remember, you don't have to know everything. (I try to keep this in mind all the time)
You already know more than you think.
Don't revise what you already know.

Step 2: Plan! Plan your revision time. Stick to it, giving yourself time for breaks.
Pay more attention to your weaker subjects.
Be realistic. Short but frequent revision sessions are most effective.

Step 3: How? Make it more interesting by drawing spider diagrams or summarise key points.
Write down everything you know and check your notes afterwards for missing points.
Write your final revision on a postcard and bring it everywhere you go.
Ensure you can work the clock by taking past year exam papers.

Step 4: Hints! Some revision topics can be used for more than one paper. Be selective!

Yes! I am already getting ready for exam by....

avoiding junk food, instant microwavable food and fizzy drinks.

I stick to 15 minutes of stretching and exercising when I get out of bed and have fruits and vegetable in one of my meals everyday.

An apple and a bottle of yakult for breakfast & a cup of milk before I sleep at night.

Drink at least 1200ml of water a day.

Spend at least half an hour after shower for grooming, i.e facial wash, toner, moisturiser to make myself feel good.

Give myself breaks in between revision.

1/2 hour power nap in the afternoon if the need arises.

At least 8 hours of sleep!

THINK POSITIVE.

Be sure of what my goal is and go for it!!

I CAN DO IT! I tell myself that over and over again...


No comments:

Post a Comment