Monday, March 05, 2007

The Little Prince

I've been reading quotes online for as long as I remember..
There is something about those phrases that captivates me..
The deep meaning behind a simple sentence~
They somehow remind me of the things I usually take for granted.

I have a strange habit of re-reading books I've read before.
I think I've read the same book up to more than 5 times.
Some people think that's really weird..
But I gain something new everytime I read it again..

I usually read pretty quickly and might miss out on certain points..
Or the things I read which might not be relevant to my life before..when I take out the book and read it again now, it would all suddenly make sense to me

Like 'The Little Prince'..
I first read it when I was about 15 years old?
I saw it on TV when I was younger and I was attracted to the drawing of the little boy with golden locks.
His outfit stole my attention. The blue colour~ I like!
And the drawing on the last 2 pages of the book..
Even though it was just a really simple drawing, I felt that it was trying to tell more than that..
There is something 'loud' about simplicity..
Sometimes, a simple drawing could tell so much..



And the wisdom of the fox..
I've blogged about the Little Prince before and since then, I've re-read it for about 3 times!

One thing I notice this time was the flower..
The Little Prince's rose.. The only one on his planet.. with 4 thorns..
How haughty the little rose was!
And the little prince thought that the rose he had was the one and only in this universe..
Until he came to planet Earth and saw a garden full of roses..
He thought his rose lied to him..
until the fox enlightened him~
which after that, he went to look at the garden of roses again..

pg.71-72..

The little prince went off to look at the roses again.

'You are nothing like my rose,' he told them. 'As yet you are nothing at all. Nobody has tamed you, and you have tamed nobody. You are as my fox used to be. He was just a fox like a hundred thousands of other foxes. But I made him my friend, and now he is unique in the world.'

And the roses felt very uncomfortable.

'You are beautiful, but you are empty,' he went on. 'One could not die for you. Of course, an ordinary passer-by would think my rose looked just like you. But in herself she matters more than all of you together, since it is she that I watered; since it is she that I placed under the glass dome; since it is she that I sheltered with the screen; since it is she whose caterpillars I killed (except the two or three we saved up to become butterflies). Since it is she that I listened to, when she complained, or boasted, or when she was simply being silent. Since it is she who is my rose.'

And he went back to the fox:

'Goodbye,' he said.

'Goodbye,' said the fox. 'Now here is my secret, very simply: you can only see things clearly with your heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye.'

'What is essential is invisible to the eye,' repeated the little prince, so as to remember.

'It is the time you have wasted on your rose that makes your rose so important.'

'It is the time I wasted on my rose...' repeated the little prince, so as to remember.

'People have forgotten the truth,' said the fox. 'But you must not forget. You become responsbile, for ever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose.'

'I am responsible for my rose...' the little prince repeated, so as to remember.



After typing the text out, I realised Antoine de Saint-Exupery had used repetitive words in his text..so simple, yet so powerful and persistent..

I understood the meaning behind it..

Once we have touched the lives of the others, we become responsible for their lives.. For we have tamed them..

Just like pop stars,when their fans go ga-ga over them.. They have touched the lives of their fans, which makes them responsible for their actions.. They cannot suddenly disappear from show-biz, for that would be a terribly irresponsble act towards the people whose lives they have touched..

Just like how I treat my sport shoes.. To others, my sport shoes is just a simple pair of Nike sports shoes.. Perhaps, there are thousands of girls out there who has the similar pair of shoes, similar design and size..
But nobody has MY shoes, the one I brought into the jungle of Temburong, to Shahbandar, to Squash court, Badminton, to Sydney..the pair of shoes that has been into the Sydney Opera House, to Dunedin..the one that has set foot on the New Zealand soil..and finally UK.
That is the most unique pair of sport shoes in the world. Because it is mine.
I have personalized it and I have shared a lot of moments of my life with it.
It went everywhere with me..and has become one of my most treasured possession.
Other people might not understand, to them, it's just a pair of shoes..
But I know to me, it means so much more..

That goes for all fo my belongings..right up to something as simple as my mechanical pencil..that has become very special to me..

There..reading does induce a lot of thinking..

Perhaps when I re-read the Little Prince for the 20th time, I might gain something else from it..which I will definitely blog about again!

No comments:

Post a Comment