I had a wonderful night!
SH & ShuV left for London tonight and I went to the airport. I met SH's parents and had a nice chat with them. It's always nice to catch-up with people I haven't met in a while! :)
I rushed home after that because we have a dinner gathering, especially for me before I leave for UK again.
It was a nice dinner with lots of yummy food, because I know Papa & Mama put in a lot of effort for this meal. Aunt Eng, Aunt Luan and Uncle Patrick joined us and we had a wonderful meal.
I always feel very loved when I'm around them. I guess your family members are indeed the people who show you unconditional love and will always be there for you. I'm also glad I have friends who are like family to me too.
Tonight, besides talking about current affairs, we talked about my childhood again. I thought I've heard all the stories about me as a little girl, but they surprised me with more unheard stories tonight. (hehe) I'd like to think I brought a lot of joy to the family as a little girl.
Besides that, they talked about my grandpa's old friend. I've never met grandpa before because he passed away long before I was born. But I've always visualized grandpa as a man of honour, from the stories I heard about him. I think my grandpa was indeed a great father to my father and his siblings. There are always so many fond stories about how he doted on them when he was alive.
When they talked about grandpa's old friend (who is still alive), I could see how grateful they were to him. They said, when grandpa was alive, his friend would always come visit during chinese new year and occasionally treat grandpa out for tea at Terrace Hotel (previously Ang's Hotel). They said among grandpa's colleague, he was the nicest to grandpa. I think a little kindness and friendship indeed goes a long way. At least our family would always remember this uncle as a kind man and a good friend to grandpa and we're very grateful for that.
From what I heard and photos I've seen, grandpa was a typical conservative 'china man'. Till today, my aunts could still remember how my grandpa liked his popiah and how well it went with his alcohol. My grandpa was fond of alcohol and cigarettes when he was alive, but surprisingly, none of his children took after him.
We also talked about grandma. Grandma passed away when I was in Form 2, so I could still remember moments spent with her. I remember fondly how I used to look for my grandma when it was tea-time, because that's when she would take out her screwdriver and open up tins of biscuits and snacks. I used to think that it was such a fun chore and would quickly open her tin cans for her before she could do it. Grandma also taught me how to sing "baa baa black sheep".
I think I'm indeed a very fortunate girl, blessed with so many people who love me. This dinner gathering came at the right time. No matter how sad I feel, I must remember how fortunate I am.. hence no matter what, I will pick myself up and promise to do my family proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment