Friday, July 08, 2011

Honest thoughts

I'm constantly revisiting my definition of 'happiness'. The concept is starting to get more abstract to me as I grow older.


'Is it because it takes much more to make me happy now?' I ask myself. The answer is no.. but as I grow older, I am slowly coming to terms with the saying, 'life is not perfect.' Sometimes, our job requires us to do things we don't like or have no interest in. I still get frustrated when this happens but I am constantly reminding myself to look at the bright side and turn the experience into something positive by taking away positive 'lessons learned'.


I also realise that my state of happiness is very much dependent on my job. I am not a workaholic (I think), but I attach a lot of importance to my job because I spend most of my waking hours working.  An average of 10 hours out of 16 hours! It HAS to be meaningful and worthwhile. I could certainly get away by 'acting busy' and just do very little while still collecting a good paycheck at the end of the month but that is not acceptable to me!


Is it so obvious that I am not happy with my job at the moment?


Perhaps I need to go away for a little while. The idea of the upcoming trip to India is sustaining me through this difficult time.


Meanwhile, I have also come up with a list of things I can do/things I like to keep my myself motivated/happy:-


TO DO


* Start reading books again.


* Continue my online CIMA course and this time, persevere! I really do enjoy being a student again


* Take up a new hobby. My camera has been sitting on my table. I need to stop planning shots in my head and just do it!


* Breathe deeply through my nose. I have a bad habit of breathing through my mouth (I don't know why I am saying this here)


* Always allocate time to catch up with my loved ones


* Keep my room neat and comfy


* Exercise regularly


* Pay attention to the beauty surrounding me just as they are instead of getting lost in my own thoughts


Random things that make me happy


* Smiles. They remind me to smile more too. I love going to work early in the morning and have the guards greet me with smiles the moment I enter the gate. They don't know how much I appreciate them for that


* Hot milo


* Flowers, and not just the kind in bouquets. There's something amazing about these beautiful things that grow out of soil.


* Beautiful words and art. I am always in awe when I come across beautiful words. They remind me to stay in touch with my creative side.


credits to dazeychic on Etsy


* Music.  Especially music when I am doing work and driving. I have been listening to Kina Grannis at work. Speaking of music, I was caught in a perfect moment yesterday. I went shopping after work and got myself a nice lychee ice blended from Each A Cup. I got into my car, turned on the engine, radio and aircon while sipping my drink. At that moment, a beautiful song came on the radio. It was just perfect.


* People with a huge passion for life and what they do.  This is one of the main reasons I like Wong Fu Productions so much. I'm always inspired by their work and attitude. I also get excited when I am able to relate to certain ideas or things they find beautiful.


'The best moments in reading are when you come across something- a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things- that you'd thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you've never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it's as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.' - The History Boys
And yes it's true, the world needs people who have come alive. It's extremely inspiring for people like me who are still searching to witness others who have and believing that I can too.


'Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.' Howard Thurman


* Swimming. There's something about being in the water that relaxes me.


* Photos with a vintage look. I find them extremely charming.


Amazingly, I feel so much better now compared to when I first started this post. As much as me viewing this phase I am going through as 'difficult', I am incredibly grateful for what I have and all the little things  that put a smile on my face and remind me to not let myself be discouraged for too long!


No comments:

Post a Comment