Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day Two:

I was MRT-hopping and doing my usual people watching.  It was then I came across the most endearing scene of my trip.  It was a foreign family of four- father, mother, daughter and son. They appeared to be a young family- with the parents looking no more than thirty of age.

I imagined the man had left his home country for Singapore, in search for greener pastures.  He might have just taken his family with him or they could just be there for a short visit.  Why did I think so? They looked new to the place.  The mother was carefully watching the blinking lights above the door.  They were seated very closely together.

I see courage.  To leave a familiar place is never easy, albeit with the hopes and dreams for a better life.  It made me think of my grandparents who left China and Taiwan decades ago and eventually settled down in Brunei.  Any hint of bravery in me, I inherited it from them!

The father was carrying his toddler son who was blissfully asleep in his arms.  He stroked his sleeping son's forehead lovingly, as if to say 'Sleep well, my dear child. I will do all that I can to keep you safe.'

I see a parent's love for his child.  I thought of my parents and smiled to myself while silently giving thanks for the blessings in my life.

I alighted not long after that, feeling nourished.  If there is one thing to take away from the trip, this is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment