How often do you come across something that causes your heart to beat a little faster?
I get that once in a while and when it happens- I know it's special.
It could be a person, a line from a book, a scene from a movie, a little segment from a song, a smell, a colour or an idea.
I take it as 'a little sign prompting me to pursue it.'
That being said, I am aware that this is highly subjective. There is some truth in the general observation that we tend to keep a lookout for things that reinforce our existing beliefs. For example, I believe in faith and destiny. It is no surprise that I am drawn to books, songs and movies of such subjects. I read, listen and watch them. I find something that strikes a chord with me and reinforces my existing beliefs. And so the cycle begins. Have you noticed how two people would be analysing the same issue but end up forming entirely different opinion? The 'two people' could well be yourself from different points in time.
I find that by simply being aware of my tendency to be bias towards certain issues helps me tone it down a little. It does not magically eliminate the bias. It acts more like a 'quality control checker' on the various thoughts forming in my head and the decisions I am about to make.
This process takes no longer than a few seconds (our brain is amazing) and if I still find my heart beating a little faster after 'thinking it through', then I know it's really special.
Of course sometimes, logic and sense get thrown out of the window and there's just no explanation for the increased heart beat. By then, it is probably life giving you a fairytale. What the heck? Enjoy it and indulge in the little moments!
Bless the 18 inches journey from the head to the heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment