"A lot of professors give talks titled 'The Last Lecture.' Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can't help but mull the same question: What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what we we want as our legacy?"
I first read this book a month ago. It first caught my eye at Best Eastern because of its cover- and the title intrigued me. 'The Last Lecture'.. it sounds so sad yet powerful. Prof. Randy Pausch gave his last lecture at Carnegie Mellon after he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He went on to speak about his childhood dreams. What strikes me the most was the power of his dreams. He seemed to have a clear idea on what he wanted to achieve in life at a young age.
If you think this book is about teaching you how to lead your life, then you are wrong.
This book is about how he lived his and that would prompt you to think about how you would like to live yours.
He takes you on his life journey...him as a child, a son, a brother, a husband, a father and a lecturer.
This book became more meaningful while I was attending a course in Singapore. During the lessons, we were asked to think about the values that matter the most to us. From then on, we discovered our life purpose and vision.
I have always known what I would like to achieve in life.. but this exercise has made it even clearer for me.
It was a very exciting class for me because like I mentioned in my previous posts, I am the type of person who needs to know the value of my existence. Through this workshop, I have become even more sure of who I want to be.
I met a wise man and out of curiosity, I asked him..
You have given so many lectures and changed a lot of perspectives.
Let's imagine if you were to give a last lecture- you only have an hour to do it. What would you say?
The truth is, I wanted to find out what matters the most to him and learn from his lessons..
He said,
1. Live your purpose- not other people's.. not even your parents'. Each one of us has something we feel strongly about. And that is what we should dedicate our lives into doing.
2. Read widely. Don't limit yourself to your vocation/degree. If you're an economist, don't just read about economics. Read about medicine, astronomy, science and technology.. it opens you up to a bigger world.. one with more possibilities
3. Family comes first. If you die tomorrow, the company you work for can replace you.. your friends will mourn your loss.. but they'll slowly get on with their lives.. it's your family who will feel the pain forever.. In times of need, you will see that your family members are those who will always stand by you and never leave you.
I could identify with the points he made.. especially 3.
It wasn't until I left home for UK in 2006 that I felt the importance of my family.
They are the ones who worry about my well-being, constantly calling to check if I'm ok..and Wednesday is always the day I look forward to- because that's the day when I get to speak to my parents and brother.
I've always been a little reserved.. I like to keep my problems to myself and not bother others with them.. even though I know they would be very willing to help me out, I still can't bear to impose them with my worries..
I am still like that.. but I find great comfort in knowing that there are people who are willing to lend me a hand. That alone is enough for me.
Thank you Prof Randy Pausch and the wise man for enlightening me.
Sometimes, you don't mean to change others.. but their lives would never be the same after the insights you have provided.. I'm really grateful to people like them.
Rest In Peace, Prof. Randy. You've left a legacy and your children will grow up knowing their father was a great man.
No comments:
Post a Comment