Monday, April 28, 2008

what a tv show can do...

I'm a classic tv-show addict, ranging from my favourite Singaporean dramas to Taiwanese variety shows.. 

Yesterday, I watched the last episode of my current craze, 惡作劇2吻 'They Kiss Again' on youtube.

I was very drawn into the story and when it ended, I felt like something was missing.
When I logged into forums for updates of the story line, I realised I wasn't the only one.
There were hundreds of others and at one point, about 1600 of us 
were reading the thread, hoping to know the latest updates.
What's so special about this drama that could bring together so many people from different continents, different time zone, 
different background..
I'd like to think it's because we all want to be like the characters from the story.. so blissful and happy
It wasn't fairytale-like.. It had a very down-to-earth approach
It was like a story that could happen to anyone of us or anyone 
around us
The director really put in a lot of effort and the actors did a great job- so amazing that people wished they were really together in real-life.
Sometimes when I watch these dramas that touch my heart, I can't 
help but develop a great respect for the crew.
It's nice to see people putting in effort for the things they are
passionate about.
Like entertainers giving their best to the audience,
engineers figuring the best design for a product,
doctors saving lives,
artists trying to share their view of the world with others..
The list goes on..

Whenever I hear stories about these people, I get goosebumps.. 
simply because I am extremely touched and inspired..
I think everyone deserves a chance to show the world what they have..
and I believe there's enough room for each of us to chase our dreams

I was chatting with Suresh last night (or rather, the night before) and 
he suddenly asked if I believed in evolution..
Apparently he watched a documentary and it dismissed the idea 
behind evolution
I haven't had time to watch the videos but hopefully, Su will blog 
about it because he knows the materials much better than I do & it'd be
interesting to read it from his point of view.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. we shouldn't limit ourselves to the 
things we are brought up to believe in..
We don't know enough about the world to be close-minded and stick 
to what we think is 'right'
Scientists are always discovering new things and proving the old 
theories false..
A lot of things that we thought were 'right' are now proven wrong..

I remember reading a book that had one line which I always try to 
keep in mind..
"We don't know enough about the world to be pessimistic."

I think there's enough room for all of us to chase our dreams &
show the world what we're capable of achieving
There's a chinese saying that goes, 行行出状元 (hang2 hang2 chu1 zhuang4 yuan2)
which literally means, every trade has its 'masters'..
no matter which occupation you're in, you can & you will do great if 
you put in effort..
Just as my parents always say.. don't look down on people who aren't good in academics..
we are all talented in our own ways..

I remember when I got my scholarship, the scholarship officer said,
"Don't think you're better than the rest who hasn't gotten it.. One day, they might surpass you."
This line is still deeply imprinted in my mind

And like what Su reminded me, everyone will die one day..
But is that a reason to be complacent?
I think it's the exact opposite..& we just gotta realise it before it's too
late
Wouldn't it be scary to think.. when you're on your deathbed and you
realised you've lived your whole life in vain?
I hope that will not happen..

So as a reminder to myself and whoever's reading this..
Live, just live and shine

"Greatness after all, in spite of its name, appears to be not so much a certain size as a certain quality in human lives. It may be present in lives whose range is very small."
Phillips Brooks 

"A desire for bigness has hurt many folks. Putting oneself in the limelight at the expense of others is a wrong idea of greatness. The secret of greatness rather than bigness is to acclimate oneself to one's place of service and be true to one's own convictions. A life of this kind of service will forever remain the measure of one's true greatness."
Richard W. Shelly, Jr. 



1 comment: