Thursday, February 07, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year!

It's time to welcome the Year of Rat!

I received a new year card from home today and it made me cry.. not really because I miss home, but because of the things my parents wrote. Even though I am thousands of miles away from home, I can still feel the love and I think I am very, very blessed.

Today, I managed to cook a proper meal after a long time and I had a lot of fun in the kitchen. After my lecture, I went grocery shopping and upon reaching home, I kept myself busy chopping, marinating and cooking. Then, I let my imagination run a little wild. I imagined how it would be like to cook for my future husband and children. The feeling of cooking for yourself and for others is really different. I hardly put in much effort when I'm cooking for myself. It really doesn't matter as long as it's edible. But when I'm cooking for others, it's a whole different story. And it makes me feel really good.

Why is 'new year' always such a big deal? It's actually just another normal day, isn't it? Except that back home, it's a public holiday. But I think the idea of a 'new' year thrills people. It's a chance to start afresh. It's also the best time to convince yourself to get rid of a bad habit.. And  I really love Chinese New Year because we'll get a lot of visitors at home and it's a great time to catch up with people you haven't seen for a whole year. It gives us a chance to rekindle friendship.. 

That's why I think this celebration is awesome!! 

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
~T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

No comments:

Post a Comment