Friday, February 25, 2011

Book romance

Something in Cecelia Ahern's 'The Book of Tomorrow' caught my eye.


It was not the story- but the part before the story.


She thanked the booksellers.  


In her words, 


'The Booksellers- for your incredible support.  In The Book of Tomorrow I share my belief in the magic of books, how I believe books must contain some sort of homing device, which allows them to draw the correct reader to them.  Books choose their readers, not the other way around.  I believe that booksellers are the matchmakers.  Thank you.'


I found myself nodding along as I was reading it.  Many a time, I find myself thinking it is the book which has chosen me, even though I am the one who is 'actively searching' for it.  It is a good feeling, albeit a little strange.


Perhaps every book is an individual with a life of its own.  It knows its way and would gladly sit on the rack for days, months or even years- waiting for its chosen reader.  It is patient and knows the perfect time to enter its reader's life.  How else would you explain how we would just be strolling down the aisles of a bookstore and suddenly finding the perfect book staring right back at us?  

No comments:

Post a Comment