Saturday, April 25, 2009

25th April: World Malaria Day

I never took note of the World Malaria Day. In fact, before this, I don't even know that a World Malaria Day exists. I just happen to chance upon an email sent by World Vision and it says, 

Malaria kills more than 2,000 children a day. Africa is hit the hardest.

It's completely baffling to find out that a disease that is obviously preventable and curable is costing so many human lives.

Essentially, all we need is mosquito bed net and anti-malaria pills. 

I remember taking those pills faithfully every time before I set off to Temburong. I got those pills for free from the government. I admit it's something I take for granted.

Doesn't it make the situation much sadder? To know that something so readily accessible to you, is considered 'luxurious' for others and their lack of access is costing them their precious lives.

It's sad.. and this shouldn't be the case.

A lot of charitable organisations have stepped in and have taken action, but it's apparently not enough.

I learned about Jeffrey Sachs in lecture. He's an 'aid optimist' and he's perhaps THE most famous economist, working aside Angelina Jolie in their quest to eradicate poverty.
He advocates 'aid-giving', especially in areas where we know for sure that a cure exists. TRIED, TESTED and PROVEN. An example is malaria, or even irrigation. 
In some ways, I agree with him.

One thing about learning economics is opening your eyes to the world and seeing the other side of the story.

Sure, almost everybody will support the idea of giving aid and helping others.

Even I used to throw in loose change at those money donation boxes that in KFC or around the mall.

Unfortunately, we are never sure where the money ends up.

In whose pockets?

Even if you donate money via a charity organisation.. how sure are you that the money will go to those in need instead of paying for administrative costs of the organisation?

I admit, I've become a little skeptical. 

I used to think, 'as long as there's a slightest chance that the money will reach those in need, I am willing to take a risk.'

But I've learned to be a little more careful.

Surely there's no mistake in extending a helping hand but if you look at the big BIG picture, aid-giving can sometimes go very wrong.

It might end up in the hands of the wrong people.

It could even be ineffective, especially in countries with very poor institutions and policies.

How sure are we?

Unfortunately, this is a question economists debate about, even to this date.

There's just so much to be discovered, uncovered..

So many things we don't know about

But I guess just because I don't know enough about something, doesn't mean it should stop me from doing anything at all.

The first place to start is to research the charity organisation (we give our money to) thoroughly before donating via them. It's best if they actually go down to the field, get their hands dirty and show us results of their work.

From now onwards, if I want to give, I want to give smartly.

No comments:

Post a Comment