It's been exactly 20 days since I last update my blog.
Throughout these days, I've visited the navy and back. The 2005 batch joined us. We attended briefings and did community service.
Just last week, we've been to Pusat Bahagia and Pusat Ehsan.
Being there makes me feel lucky to be normal. The people we've been in touch with are either mentally retarded or have some sort of defect. At first, I was scared. I'm used to seeing 'normal, beautiful' people that I was shocked to see a huge group of people who were different from me. I admit it's indeed very narrow-minded of me.
I remember my first day in Pusat Bahagia. I was assigned to a class of 5 people, all girls. One is 31, one is 29, 20, and the other 2 in their teen years. But they all act like primary children- even the 31 and 29 year old. It's heartbreaking.
The teacher told me that they also have feelings just like us.
They also develop romantic feelings for guys. But they don't know how to protect themselves.
They are taught life skills : such as ironing, hanging out their clothes, washing themselves, going to toilet..
That afternoon, we danced with them. Even this simple activity made them really happy. I'm a lousy dancer and I usually dislike dancing in public. However that afternoon, I danced with them. Seeing them smile and have a good time makes me feel like I've accomplished something.
The next day, we went to Pusat Ehsan. There, I was assigned to an "early intervention programme" class. One teacher, one helper and 3 students. The students get full attention. One boy has Down Syndrome. He is 7 yrs old but he looked like he's only 3 yrs old. The other girl is hyperactive and one is autistic. They all couldn't talk.
The atmosphere is so different from Stella. That morning, they had swimming class.
In the afternoon, I joined Muneer and Vincent in a class with 2 boys. Both can't walk and they can't talk either. We read to them and played games too. I had to read in Malay and explain the content. It's a challange.
On Wednesday, it's back to Pusat Bahagia. We brought them to Padang Balapan to do sports. There's a little girl named Fifi who's always moody. But that day, her teacher told us it's the first time they've seen her happy and affectionate. She hugged us, played with us.. It's very heartwarming.
I fell asleep at 7-ish almost everyday of the week. It's tiring- both physically and mentally.
No comments:
Post a Comment