Thursday, March 26, 2015

Thoughts on the big day

With our wedding day being almost 8 months away, we have been thinking, planning and making arrangements for the big day.  We are quite the kan cheong ones, having already made deposit payments for the major and more important parts of the day such as securing our reception venue, photographer and videographer, emcee and band, make-up and hair stylist, venue decorator and will be off to Taiwan soon for our pre-wedding photo shoot.   

We had wanted to wait until after the Chinese New Year to kick-start the preparation and I thought that would still have been a bit early to start planning for something that is almost a year away.   But come early January, when we heard that a few other couples were also thinking of a year-end wedding reception and that two of the more desirable reception venues have been/were about to be booked, we got to work right away!  Come to think of it, we are thankful for the ‘nudge’ as most of the more major areas have been settled.  We can now work on the more ‘fun’ aspects such as the type of photos we would like to take during the pre-wed photo shoot, guest list,  the wedding and bridesmaids gowns, invitation cards and etc.  

Wedding is a lot of work!  But when I find myself grumbling, I remind myself to be thankful that I will be able to put together this day of celebration not just for ourselves, but also for the people closest to us.  And then I remind myself that it is just one day!  

I was never one to fantasize about my wedding day- I did not think about the type of wedding gown I would like to wear or wedding colours and flowers, or the little details that would have to be perfect for the DAY.  However, I did look forward to being married to a wonderful man (and I have) and raising a family.  That has probably helped me to stay grounded (so far) and will hopefully help me not to turn into a bridezilla.  

At this day and age, with the amount of publicity ‘perfect’ weddings get from Pinterest and Instagram, it is so easy to be swept into the whole hoo-ha as we ‘awww’ and ‘oooooh’ at the beautiful wedding gowns, those perfectly put-together flowers (they are gorgeous), cake and decoration… the list goes on.  Almost feels like the wedding vendors are making you subconsciously feel like you HAVE to keep up.  

I do love beautiful things and want to make an effort at personalising our wedding celebration with elements that I(we) love.  However, just as what I have done with our wedding decorator (I gave her an idea of the colours and concept I like, promised no micro-management, left her to work her magic and will look forward to what she puts up on the actual day) and now that the major elements have been taken care of, I resolve not to fuss over slight details and to simply enjoy the process of this first ‘project’ Mr L and I work on together, as a team!   

No comments:

Post a Comment