‘Imagine if you have won $1 million dollars and have no financial constraints. You no longer have to stay at your current job or work for a living if you don’t want to. You have had ample opportunity to buy cars, homes and whatever ‘stuff’ you have always wanted to own. You have also taken time off travelling, sunbathing and simply bumming around. Now, what is the vision of the future you want to create for yourself? What does it look like? What has meaning and purpose for you? What do you see yourself doing? How are you spending your time? Where is your energy being devoted?
Me (2008): If I had no constraints, my dream would be to actively involve myself in a lifetime commitment to nurture children, and especially children who have lost their parents. I want every child to grow up knowing they are loved and that they matter! I want to provide them with education and guide them to be useful members of our society. Why children? Children are our future leaders. If they are inculcated with sound values at an early age, it will be easy to mould them, shape their lives and ensure they grow up to be useful citizens of the world. Besides that, I will build a school in an area where literacy rate is low. I strongly believe every child should have the right to education. Why is this dream important? This feels like my calling- my life purpose and something I am passionate about. I wish for children to grow up to become useful members of the society and help many more others; change lives and make a lasting impact.
Where I see myself in 5 years (i.e. 2013) : To be in a position to guide others to achieve their dreams. I also wish to see myself married and with my first child. I hope to balance work and family life- to provide for my parents and be a dutiful and loving wife and mother to my husband and children respectively.
It gives me great strength to find this. I think the Cindy in 2008 had it pretty much sorted out. Sometimes I like to go back and trace my steps- to revisit the choices I have made at each node, the decisions that would have gone on to change my life from then onwards.
My favourite question: Why did I take up a 'defence' scholarship and not an 'education' scholarship? I hope that once I answer myself this once and for all, I will never have rethink this question anymore.
Life works in amazing ways. Without the platform and privilege the defence scholarship has provided me, I will not be the person I am today- this, I am sure. The books we were encouraged to read, the people we were arranged to meet, the adventures we had to have, the workshops we had to attend.. all played a huge definitive part in moulding me into the person I am today. I am sure there were some not-so-pleasant moments but I cannot recall any of them in great detail so they could not have been that bad, even if they were- I survived, and this is all that matters to me right now.
I have great faith that everything happens for a reason and in its perfect time and I think this is a good enough answer for doubts regarding where I see myself in 2013. *wink*

No comments:
Post a Comment